Saturday, June 18, 2011

Meet Pepper - Our 1st Puppy

Today we had a My Gym marketing event all day, outside at a street fair. We had to arrive and set up at 7:30am so that the cars could get off the street, but the event didn't start until 10am. Because we set up really fast, and we had a lot of time to kill, we decided to walk the street and see what other vendors were there. Our first stop was at the adopt-a-pet bus because the cute little puppies outside caught our attention. We just were looking for a second and the next thing I know, a puppy was in my hands. The lady said, "here" and I said "umm, you shouldn't have done that." I was falling in love so I quickly that I passed him to Thomas, but when I looked at my husband, he had the same look in his eyes that I did... love. I don't love all dogs. Actually, I don't like ones that jump, lick or bark a lot. That's pretty much all dogs. This little puppy, though, was the calmest, sweetest, quietest thing I had ever seen! We learned a lot about the dog and why it needed to be adopted. The mom was dropped off to them and had puppies 2 days later - a boy (Pepper) and a girl (Piper). They are a Chihuahua and Doxin mix (a Chiweenie). Today the puppies turned 8 weeks old and the family of 3 were up for adoption. We were not planning on getting a dog anytime soon, and definitely not today with the responsibility of running the My Gym booth. We put the puppy back, gathered all the information, and went on a walk to talk about it. Our biggest hold up on getting a pet was our landlord. We never explored the option since we are renting our town home and didn't want to pay a pet deposit/fee. I told Thomas that if we were even just 90% sure we wanted him that it wouldn't hurt to fill out the adoption application, call our landlord, and see what happens. By 9:30am this morning, we had turned in our application for Pepper (the boy puppy). Next, we called our landlord, and he amazed us. He told Thomas that because we have been responsible and a tenant for awhile (3 years in October), that he would not charge us anything to have a pet if we still kept the house nice - clean up accidents, keep his nails short not to scratch the hardwood floors, etc. That means no money down for a pet deposit and no extra money a month in our rent. I walked back over to the adopt-a-pet bus to tell them that everything was ok with our landlord, but before I could say anything I heard "he's yours!" I called Thomas over to leave our My Gym booth and come hold his new puppy. They had already called one of our references from our application (one of our My Gym moms - been there since before we took over the gym - who is a Veterinarian and owns an Animal Clinic with her husband right by our house) and everything was approved. Pepper was placed in the bus and had to have his crate covered by a blanket to keep all the people from wanting him. We would visit Pepper throughout the day and they would always let us take him out to hold and bond with him, but no one else could. He is ours, but we don't get to take him home until Monday after he is "fixed" tomorrow, de-wormed, and all that fun stuff that was included with the adoption.


Meet Pepper


He smiles! :)



Holding him like a baby...



Pepper's sister was adopted, too, by another family so they got to stay together today until they are both sent home with their new family Monday. Pepper (our puppy) is the one sleeping on the right and his sister Piper is on the left.



Pepper outside with his mom before we adopted him



Our 1st picture with our 1st puppy





We love him!


Then we had to put him back with his sister and say goodbye until Monday. I already miss our little guy (he is only 3lbs right now) and can't wait to see how he runs around and masters the stairs at our house. I'm sure we'll have more pictures and videos coming soon.

No comments: